Monday, October 6, 2008

Baby Genius

It is of no surprise that I have on occasion joked around about the fact that I think Paloma suffered from a anoxic event at birth. She came shooting down the birth canal and within minutes entered this world with an extremely dazed and confused look on her face. She required oxygen and was taken to the newborn nursery shortly after for grunting and just a bit of nasal flaring. For the record, I did make sure she nursed before having her assessed for respiratory distress!
She has always been a bit slower at development, never missing a milestone, just slower at hitting them than her sister. Her big sis is all I have to compare it with. So I have been know to crack a joke about how I think it all relates back to her birth.

This morning, Paloma completely surprised me. We were sitting on the couch (Mattea was counting to 50 - she counted to 30 this weekend and then just hasn't stopped) when all of a sudden Paloma busts out "1, 2, free, 4, iiive, ix, etc." My mouth dropped open - I asked her to repeat - and she did on command. I began to think she has just been fooling us this whole time - she truly is a baby genius. She is counting much earlier than her sister, she has begun singing songs, and memorizing bible verses. I have underestimated my second born.

AND THEN...




I walk into the room this morning to find her gnawing on a pair of shoes - just an hour after eating breakfast - and now I'm not sure what to think.

4 comments:

Kim said...

She can still be a genius--but the poor girl has quite the appetite! Come on, Heather, why does she have to resort to shoes?

lirpa said...

Way to go Paloma!! P-nut surprised us by counting up the stairs on her swingset outside. She will only count to 5 when she is going up stairs--really odd. If you say one, she will say two, but that is where it stops. She giggles and runs away. Palomoa will make it to fifty in no time if Mattea sets the example. Not that I have anything to compare to, but p-nut seems like a sponge and is watching and learning whatever she can right now. It is amazing the stuff she can mimick. Not to admit that I have a habit of de-linting myself of blanket fuzzies and dog hair every morning before work, but this morning p-nut took my lint brush and started brushing my pants for me. The things they pick up on . . .

MerrandaVK said...

HA HA HA!

Unknown said...

She may be one of those with a lot of brains with not as much common sense.... :) (just kidding)