Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Is This Really Learning?

A while back, my friend Merranda posted an idea for helping children sort. I hadn't really thought too much about the concept until I stumbled on this great assortment of paper in the $1 section at Target. It is paper of various colors and shapes. I decided to purchase, take home, and try out. This morning, Mattea rose before the rooster crowed and so we had quite a bit of time on our hands before her sister was up. After breakfast, I broke out the paper and asked her to sort. At first she didn't get it. But after realizing what I was asking, she quickly sorted the piles of papers into their correct hues. After successfully completing that task, she was asked to sort by shapes. That was a bit more difficult but she did complete the task as asked. Mattea is a bright little girl who now can identify all of her letters, count to 20, talk in Spanish, etc.... but the poor girl can not for the life of her learn her shapes. Part of it is me - I think shapes are boring so very rarely do I do a lesson on them. Slap on hand - I know. Right now we are working on money and time and that is way more exciting.

1 comment:

MerrandaVK said...

Cute! She looks so proud of herself too. Sorting is so perfect for 2-4 year olds!