Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Who Knew About Peter?

This is kind of a random post that I may come back to but certainly wanted to share a couple of thoughts. I've been reading through the Bible - slowly but surely. Sticking with mostly the New Testament, (since Old Testament is extremely difficult for me to read) I have come across some amazing scripture - the latest coming from 1st and 2nd Peter.

Here are a few versus I'd like to share....

~ 1 Peter 2:11-12
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
Gasp - Holy smokes. I'd love to say that I'm doing that on a daily basis. That each and every person who meets me sees and feels the Holy Spirit within me. BUT, I know that I fall short. Time and time again, I act inappropriately and paganous (is that a word?) and I'm sure those around me wonder what in the world has gotten my undies in a bundle. I know I do. The sad thing is I'm conscious of it yet I continue. Why is is so hard to act and be like 1 Peter 2:11-12?

~1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
Gasp - Humbling for me. A gentle and quiet spirit I am not. Ugh, how I long to be but I'm simply not. I was not designed to be. But it is true what these 2 versus are saying - our beauty certainly doesn't rest in the outward but rather the inward. I bank on this the many times I head out into public without make up, clean hair or a shower. I try and remember the unfading beauty of a gentle spirit that is important to God.

~1 Peter 3:9
Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
Easier said than done huh?

~1 Peter 4:12-13
Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
If this one doesn't just hit home. Rejoice - in suffering. In my line of work I have encountered families of all walks of life with many different stresses and situations involving their children. I have seen families receive devastating news to whom some react appropriately and others do not. When a family is told their premature infant will not survive and they turn around and put a hole in the hospital wall, I'm not all that impressed. Contrary, a mother who receives the same news but glorifies God rather than becoming overcome in anguish is a sight to see. Truly an inspiration to us all. I do hope that when - not if but when - I am tested, I withstand the challenge.

~2 Peter 3:13
But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
Amen!

Just a few random thoughts I'd like to share. I find myself reading and rereading the books of Peter. I hope that if you check it out you find it as fascinating as I do.

No comments: