Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fashion Faux Pas - I Want Your Opinion


Ok moms - I want to hear your opinion. I know there are plenty of mothers out there reading my blog - must I name names???? (Dena, Lucy - with my new format you can now comment). ANYWAYS - I believe that when children get to be the age that Mattea is, she should have the freedom to dress however she would like. She actually has been doing it for quite some time. She knows there are boundaries (ie not wearing pajamas in public - although she has tried). We have also worked on coordinating colors, styles, etc. I want her to be able to make decisions in her life and feel autonomous in those decisions. With that being said, what the heck do you do when she makes this kind of decision (see above). As a mom do you step in and intercede or simply stand back and chuckle and hope that she walks a few steps behind when you head out in public???? For the record, those are leopard pants!!!




3 comments:

MerrandaVK said...

Well, I guess that is a personal decision. I know moms that would go either route. Ethny has never voiced an opinion on clothing - ONLY SHOES!!! So when she wore sandals out yesterday (I made her at least wear socks) I was hoping no one thought me a neglegant mother.... But she does choose her pajamas, and lordy, they never match! It's quite a sight. What did you do?

Kim said...

I say let her make her own choices! When people see her in public, they probably think, "What a great mom letting her little girl dress herself!" And maybe try to hide her a little with a jacket :-)

nurseheather said...

oh, if you know me at all you would know that i let that little girl hold her head high and march herself out into that big world - weird pants and all. i am by no means the type of mother who feels like she needs "perfect children." life's lessons are so much more valuable when kids can learn them on their own. And merranda, i guarantee nobody will cause social services on you for letting miss ethny run around without socks. you are far from a negligent mother. When she gets frostbite on her toes, maybe she'll think about putting socks on next time (i'm grinning ear to ear right now.) good luck