Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Food For Thought

I am currently reading the book of Exodus. I find the Old Testament a challenge to read through since much of it I don't understand. I don't like the way it was written and although it is rich is context, personally, I like when Jesus talks to me way more. But, if I am committed to reading the entire Bible, the Old Testament I must tackle.

So this morning I stumbled on a verse I have been pondering over this morning.

Basically Moses is reassuring the Israelites to remain faithful and trust God to save them from the Egyptians. The Israelites are complaining that Moses led them to the desert for which they thought they would surely die. Moses firmly says to them

Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.
Exodus 14:13

Stand firm....Do not be afraid.....

How many times do we panic over life's daily battles. How many times do we question our Lord and his motives. How many times do we become frightened over pure uncertainty. As I raise my hand, I proclaim "Too many." Although I have become better about turning to God in prayer rather than turning to myself, I still am lured back into believing that I can fix things or that I can overcome or that I should be worried. During these crazy up and down times, I think many of us are worried, scared, frightened, uneasy. But use all of those purely natural feelings to draw yourself closer to your Heavenly Father. He yearns for us to turn toward him. As Exodus states "...you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today."
Granted, God is not parting the sea for us today but he could be doing so much more - if only you let him.
Let go of your worry, let go of your anxiety, and let go of your uneasiness and simply Let God.

No comments: