Thursday, May 29, 2008

Laugh Out Loud Funny

This is going to be a wordy post - but believe me if your endorphins need stimulating, it will be well worth your time.
Last week my husband approached me about playing softball for his company's co-ed team. Anybody who knows me knows that 1) I'm not a sports enthusiast, 2) I'm not athletic, and 3) I'm not competitive. When asked if he would be playing with me, his response was "NO, they just need women." After all of the sacrifices and commitments that my husband has made to me and my family, I hesitantly said YES. In the past I have attempted to take up running as a way of spending time with David. I'm not good at it by any means, but when we could do races together(pre-children days) it was fun. But let me remind you for those who don't know - when I was in cross country in high school, the girl in special olympics would beat me - causing me to lose every single race I participated in. My anxiety arose as each day passed, getting closer and closer to the "big game." I made David purchase a bat and ball and then practice with me this weekend. I think I calculated that it had been at least 18 years since I had played the sport (if not more).
Anyways.... my entire family came out - Dave and the girls. Mattea was too cute as she stood at the gate and yelled "go mama go!" I smiled sheepishly but inside I was sick to my stomach. Why was I so nervous. I did not know these people and I did not work with them - BUT my husband did. And I was so afraid that I would do something stupid and therefore embarrass my husband who would then have to face these people the next day. Hmmmm - should have went with my gut.

The game started and all was good. I think I struck out once and then hit the ball once but didn't quite make it to first base in time. I was in the outfield and so I didn't' have to catch one ball. I thought life was good until I stepped up to the plate for the final time. I managed to hit the ball (which surprised the heck out of me) and headed my hiney off to first base. For some reason this evil voice inside of me said, they won't get you - keep running to second. Apparently they had overthrown the ball at first and I thought I could make it to second. As I rounded the base and made it half way to second, my headed started spinning and I must have tripped or just fell because before I knew it I was on my back rolling toward second. I'm sure both teams were simply staring at me and wondering "What is she doing?" I stood up and continued to run but was obviously out. After getting up, I remember thinking to myself "What did I just do & How is this going to affect my husband's reputation?" Ugh!!! My worst nightmare had come true. I do believe we won in the end but....
Upon entering the house (laughing with David the whole way home) Dave poured me a glass of wine (and then a second and a third) so I could drown out the memory. I was next door in the computer room when Dave was putting Mattea to bed. She must have tripped getting in to his lap because suddenly I heard her say "Oops, I biffed it just like mommy" To say the least, I'm not sure that I will be picking up a bat and a ball anytime soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather- you are an awesome sport! :)
Laura and Alex

MerrandaVK said...

I was Laughing Out Loud! Great story, sounds like something that would happen to me!! Gotta email you something hold on...

Kim said...

That was a great story! I really did laugh out loud. Don't you just love when you go against your gut feeling and see the result :) I love how Mattea picked up on it all and had her own "biffing" experience. Kids are so smart.

Kim said...

Oh, my!!! That sounds just like my sis :-) I give you a TON of credit for even getting out there to try--I can't say I would have been as nice! I've played basketball with Ryan before, but never in a game or in front of other people, so good for you. But just think, it makes for a great story and how cute is Mattea! I hope you were able to get a good laugh out of it, too!

Jillian said...

Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the world happened? You just fell and started rolling??????????? I am laughing so hard! THanks for the email and reminding me to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!