Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Domesticated Diva - Take 1

Ok folks, if you have been following my blog, you probably already know that I am on my quest to become a domestic diva. I'm not really sure what that entails BUT I am trying. First up ~ cooking.

I have hated cooking, despised grocery shopping, even loathed the idea of touching (let alone) preparing food in the past. But the new me is here. I'm committed to turning my life around and becoming a good cook - well maybe just a decent one. And to be truthful (but don't tell my husband), I actually have been learning to enjoy it. Dora the Explorer is on during dinner prep at my house and so cooking has become a whole lot easier. When the kids were younger, dinner preparation time was a nightmare. But since they have matured (and since we have gotten cable), I have now learned to forgo the battle, turn on the TV and hit the kitchen. For all you moms who are able to pull this off without succumbing to the TV - kudos to you but don't judge me - OK!

So I was at Costco this past weekend and found an amazing cookbook. In fact I now have 23 meals on my planner (and amazingly enough, all the ingredients stocked for them.) I was excited to try the first recipe tonight.

When Dave is traveling, I need quick, easy and healthy meals for my kids. Not me - I always seem to eat salmon burgers or cereal - but that isn't an acceptable choice for my children.

So tonight, I made the first recipe from my cookbook - Chicken in a Haystack. I'd love to share it with you. It is super easy, inexpensive and relatively healthy. If you use low fat soup, perhaps substitute chicken for turkey or tofu (not that chicken is all that unhealthy) you could make the dish even healthier. So here it is.

Chicken in a Haystack

1 can (10-3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/2 cup water
Hot cooked rice

Toppings: Cooked peas, raisins, pineapple tidbits, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced ripe olives, chow mein noodles and/or mandarin oranges

*In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the soup, chicken and water. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 min or until heated through. Serve over rice. Top with toppings or your choice.

~Ok sounds simple right? Not only simple but fun. I made a pile of chicken/soup mixture on top of rice and the kids were able to go through the 'buffet' of toppings that were laid out and put on whatever they desired. I bought a bunch of ramekin cups and put out the following toppings: peas, corn, chow mein noodles, black olives, cheese, and pineapple. They were required to put on the vegetables but other than that they could pick and choose. The chow mein noodles added a different texture that they enjoyed.

Next time I think I'll put over couscous and try perhaps try another product besides chicken (I'm kind of boycotting chicken.) If you decide to give this quick and easy dish a try, be sure to let me know..... and of course if you'd like to share any tips, dishes, words of encouragement for me, please do!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I have made something like that before, too. Try adding a little paprika to the soup part--adds some good flavor!