Saturday, August 7, 2010

Daily Dose of Encouragement - Round 2

Today after I had fed my children and again shooed them off to their rooms to play, I was led to Ephesians 2:10.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

That made me stop and think. Why am I here? What is my purpose? What am I supposed to be doing?

I often feel as if I am simply floating through life - doing all I can to just make it 1 more day. During the college years I believed my purpose was to develop relationships and obtain an education. After graduating and moving to New Mexico, I simply hung out (as a new wife), worked a little (as a labor and delivery nurse), and played a lot. I guess I never really questioned what I was supposed to be doing. Those years flew by and suddenly I am a "30 something" wife and mom of two little girls. I work as a nurse (sometimes), am a Sunday school teacher (every other Sunday), volunteer (when I can.) I guess this verse makes me go "what is my purpose?"

Am I supposed to be doing great mission work in China right now? Am I supposed to be fulfilling a calling of full time motherhood? Am I supposed to be working outside my home more? Am I supposed to be involved in ministry more than I currently am? These are all questions that I have pondered over and over in my head. I see those around me following different paths and wondering to myself if I am on the right path. What is God's plan for me? Why was I created?

I trust in Ephesians when Paul wrote "we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Sigh.... I was created for a specific purpose. God has created a plan for me - already - and although I may not know exactly what that is right now, if I keep my heart and mind open, His plan will be revealed. Each and every one of us was created differently and for a different reason. And although there are moms all over the world doing awesome mission works in countries I can't even spell, my calling at this time seems to be very different.

I may not know what God has in store for me, but I trust in Him that whatever it is -it is perfect. It was specifically designed for me, to be carried out by me. There is something very comforting in that. How about you?

No comments: